Save the date for Volunteer Day 2018 which will take place on Saturday, February 10 in Nashville, TN during DRI2018. We are excited to announce two volunteer opportunities for Volunteer Day 2018:
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee (Half Day – Morning)
Volunteers will typically work at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee’s warehouse, completing a variety of essential tasks, most of which involve inspecting, sorting, and packing food for distribution. Volunteers may also pack BackPacks for their BackPack program, packing backpacks to feed hungry children
About Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee works to feed hungry people and solve hunger issues in Middle and West Tennessee. Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee is one of the largest and most comprehensive of over 200 food banks and food distribution centers nationwide. During the 2015/2016 fiscal year, Second Harvest distributed more than 30 million pounds of food to more than 490 Partner Agencies, providing more than 25 million meals of food to hungry children, families and seniors throughout our 46-county service area.
Operation Stand Down Tennessee (Full Day)
Volunteers will take part in various tasks which may include handiwork, painting, work in the warehouse, distributing hygiene kits to Veterans, and more. The exact job description will be available in the coming months as needs at the facility and weather are forecasted.
About Operation Stand Down Tennessee
Operation Stand Down Tennessee assists Veterans and their families so they can be self-sustaining and better connected to the community. They:
- Operate a Service Center providing and/or coordinate a variety of services to all Veterans and their families with special emphasis on those who are homeless.
- Provide Employment training and counseling, technical assistance, job training, placement assistance, computer training and job retention to Veterans with the focus of helping Veterans find good jobs.
- Operate a Transitional Housing Program for Veterans providing the necessary social and support services to ensure a successful return to responsible living.
- Coordinate Stand Downs with Middle Tennessee agencies to inform and provide social and support services for Veterans.
- Operate a Thrift Store that provides a job-training program for veterans, provides clothes to Veterans and their families (at no cost to them!) and generates revenue to support programs in our Veteran Service Center.
You don’t have to wait for DRI2018 to be part of DRI’s volunteer efforts. The DRI Foundation is seeking individuals interested in learning more about serving on the Volunteerism Committee. The Volunteerism Committee plays an important role in carrying out the DRI Foundation’s Mission and will take part in the following:
- Assist in the planning of Volunteer Day 2018 in Nashville, TN.
- Discuss strategies for long-term volunteerism efforts for the foundation.
- Coordinate with other DRI Foundation committees.
If you are interested, please complete this form and you will be contacted by the Director of Volunteerism, Michele Ostler, with more information.